Thursday, November 12, 2015

Evolution of food

Evolution of food? What is this crap I am reading? Would be your first reaction upon reading the title. Well it's diwali holiday and I am in my best mood to catch up with those TV shows I missed and writing this post all of a sudden feels like a pain. So what I just said is the reason behind my ultra-ridiculous title. I am extremely sorry that the title sounds like your annoying biology teacher xD

As I told you before, I always wanted food to be a source to learn history and today I'm gonna prove it is possible.

The human race constantly kept evolving from day one till today. We are all still evolving. As people kept evolving, their lifestyle also kept evolving and lifestyle  include our topic, food.

Due to unfortunate turn of events, we couldn't ge hold of the early men's food blog but w humans ar just too curious to find out what they ate. Scientists say that their food style kept changing as the weather changes. They preferred meat during winter and berries, nuts and other vegetables during summer.

All these changed when people became more civilised (or colonised by British), people started eating cooked food and manage to make their best with all their available resources.

Now, we are prone to the term fast food. Agree or disagree, I must say that fast food is everybody's instant favourite.

Fast food introduced wide range of consumers to new type of food, pre cooked food. Fast food was mean for people who go to work a want grab a bite in their very short time.

The fast food restaurant started in 1919 in the USA, but the idea of fast food dates back to the roman empire. Brands like McDonald's and KFC are now more than just restaurants, they've become multinational corporations with outlets everywhere you go. This success in their business lies behind the technique of serving food faster than others.

Again, w can see the change in food pattern depending on people's requirements. People in the 21st century are too fast when compared with our ancestors. We are demanded to be quick or else your just a massive failure. To compromise with the world, people tend to other fast food over anything else.

I can criticise the world forever but I am just too lazy. This post is just an example of how food is a source to study history (in your face, CBSE). I hope this history + biology + economics post didn't spoil your day!!

Happy Diwali!
-Abubakr Sajith

2 comments:

  1. The idea of fast food dates back to the Roman Empire?? Cool! I would love to know what sort of fast food were the Romans eating during that point of time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fast food at that time was baked bread which dipped in wine as a quick appetite. Before the Roman empire, people used bake breads in their home with the required ingredients. The roman empire founded the establishment that we know today as bakery (300 BC)

      Delete

Thank you.