Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Eating is a Necessity but Cooking is an Art - Aathira James



There is nothing more satisfying than a good home cooked meal. Sure, hogging on junk food or eating out might sound so much easier, but as a pretty good cook (title given by my mom!) myself I can guarantee that having the food I cooked is a much more rewarding experience and more so, when I share it with the people I love.

When I was little, or as many of you might know, the time when saying ‘wazaaaa!’ was cool, I used to watch my mother cook with great fascination. The way the colours mixed and changed as the spices were added, the sound made when the pakoras fried in the simmering oil, the aroma that filled the house, the anticipation before the first bite, all were just so fascinating. It was as if my mother was Da Vinci and the pan was her canvas.

I considered cooking as more of an art than a job. It too required skill, creativity and talent. Cooking for others and myself gave me a sense of peace, I could forget the world while I cooked and this was more rewarding than any take-outs or in ‘n’ outs. The smiles on the faces of the people I cooked for makes it all the more rewarding.

Cooking with your family or friends brings you closer together and you also get to know their likes and dislikes.

Cooking, be it instant noodles or a gourmet meal, should be something everyone should try and have fun with. Considering it a duty or a job rather than an art takes the fun out of it.


So always consider the pros and have fun with whatever you do be it cooking or writing an article for your best friend’s blog.

I would like to end with a quote by Craig Claiborne, “Cooking is at once child's play and adult joy. And cooking done with care is an act of love.”

- Aathira Lizbeth James

1 comment:

  1. Well I'm neither a cook nor do I have any idea about cooking!
    But I do agree with you on the fact that having a meal cooked by your own hands is a much more rewarding experience.
    Also, I'm very impressed by your descriptions in the second paragraph.....Especially when you identified your mother as Da Vinci & the Pan as the canvas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you.